How to Find Us Welcome Gallery Out and About Breakfast Accommodation Terms


Harling House,

Raber Top Lane. Ingleton,

Yorkshire Dales

Email: [email protected]

                                                       Tel: 015242 42113    

                                                    Mobile: 0776 5224721    

                                                       Satnav: LA6 3DL                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Links Our Blog Cycling/Walking

Harling House

Bed and Breakfast

Follow us on Facebook Harling House on Twitter Take a look at our Instagram news Guests' Reviews Photography 1 to 1

Tel 015242 42113


Welcome to our blog, here you can find information about any upcoming events in Ingleton and the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District and the Forest of Bowland.


By Harling House, Apr 15 2020 10:08AM

This is a picture of the newly refurbished Joseph Carr water fountain in the village.

In March 1885 steps were taken to open up the waterfalls and rivers, making the area accessible, initiated by Joseph Carr. One day, Carr spoke with Mr Thomas Moore, described in the 1861 census of population as a photographic artist, on the topic of opening up walks in the glens. As a result a public meeting was advertised, to be held on March 14, 1885, at the Ingleborough Hotel, and at the meeting an “improvement company” was formed. Carr suggested that wooden bridges and stages should be erected to make the walks possible.

Messrs S Worthington, C Hodgson and W Clapham undertook the cost of making a way into Swillabottom and paths were planned. Men were engaged and work started. The weather was fine and the job was soon executed.

The opening day was set for Good Friday, April 11, 1885. We wonder what it would have been like trying to see the Falls before this work was done, and say 'thank you' to Joseph for making his idea happen.

Thank you also in 2020 to those who restored this feature, enabling locals and visitors to keep refreshed with the water supply.

RSS Feed

Web feed